3rd International Violin Competition of Mirecourt
The President of the Jury will be Pavel Vernikov (Russia) and the members will be musicians of world wide reputation : James Buswell (USA), Nora Chastain (USA), Radu Blidar (Romania) and Marianne Piketty (France).
The first round and semi-final of the competition as well as the master classes will be hold in Mirecourt and the big final accompanied by the Orchestre Symphonique et Lyrique de Nancy, will take place in Thaon-les-Vosges.
First round - Tuesday Novembre 11 and Wednesday November 12, 2014 - Rio, Mirecourt
A 20’ program for violin solo is including:
- JS BACH - Two contrasting movements of one of the sonatas and partitas for violin solo BWV 1001- 1002 - 1003 - 1004 - 1005 – 1006
- PAGANINI - One of the Capricci
- YSAYE - A sonata or an extract of a sonata for violin solo Op.27
Semi-Finale – Friday Novembre 14th, 2014 - Rio, Mirecourt
A 45 to 50 minutes recital including:
- A French contemporary piece composed after 1970
- A French sonata for violin and piano to select among the list below:
Charles-Valentin Alkan Grand Duo concertant in F #minor Op.21
- Claude Debussy - Sonata
- Reynaldo Hahn - Sonata in C major
- Guillaume Lekeu - Sonata en G major
- Gabriel Pierné - Sonata en D minor Op.36
- Francis Poulenc - Sonata
- Maurice Ravel - Sonata
- A virtuosi piece for violin solo or with piano accompaniment
Finale - Sunday Novembre 16, 2014 - La Rotonde, Thaon-les-Vosges
With the « Orchestre Symphonique et Lyrique de Nancy » under the Direction of Rani Calderon
Proposed in the program of the « Concerts Classiques d’Epinal »
A concerto among the proposed ones below:
- Lalo - Symphonie Espagnole
- Mendelssohn - Concerto en E minor Op. 64
- Prokofiev - Concerto n°2 in G minor
- Saint-Saens - Concerto n°3 in B minor Op. 61
- Sibelius - Concerto in D minor
- Tchaïkovski - Concerto en D major Op.35
- 1st prize: 5 000 euro
- 2nd prize: 3 000 euro by the Lions Club
- 3rd prize: 1 000 euro
- 4th prize: 500 euro
- Special Reward for the most impressive personality: a modern bow from Yannick Le Canu, value 4 200 € granted by Yannick Le Canu and the JMF Mirecourt.
Yannick le Canu
A passion for bowmaking over manyyearsled Yannick Le Canu to the workshop Le Canu-Millant in Paris, wherehebeganhis training in 1995. At the same time, in order to gain experience, heworkedwith Eric Grandchamp in Crozon. In 1998, heobtainedhisdiploma in bowmaking in Mirecourt. From 2000 to 2004 hewasemployed in the workshop Arezzo in Toulouse, beforeopeninghisown workshop in the historic centre of Lille in the north of France in 2004.
He ishighlyrespected in hisfield. Althoughheisprimarilydevoted to the making of new bows, healso tends to the maintenance and the restoration of old and new models, respecting the tradition of the Great French Bow MakingSchool.
After 15 yearsexperience, heisnowconsidered as an expert by hispeers and he continues hissearch for improvement in order to satisfy the numerousmusicianswho come from Europe, Asia and America. Many of themplaybowsstamped “Yannick Le Canu” known for hisquality and rigorouswork, bowswhich have become a mark of reference.
Since 1999, he has receivednumerousawards for hisbows in many international competitions: twosilvermedals in Paris, five gold medals in the US, best French workman in 2007 and declared “Hors Concours” in the US in 2008. Nowadays, heis a member of juries in suchcompetitions.
The artistic agency B2P Management is partner of the competition and will be present during the semi-finale and the finale.
Public Master Classes given by Pavel Vernikov, James Buswell, Nora Chastain, Radu Blidar, Marianne Piketty and proposed to the candidates on Thursday November 13 and Saturday November 15.
- The Mirecourt International Violin Competition organized by the JMF Mirecourt will take place from Monday November 10th to Sunday November 16th, 2014 in Mirecourt (France). The candidates need to be present at the introduction ceremony on Monday November 10th at 6pm.
- The competition is open to violinists from all nationalities, born after the 11th November 1988.
- The competition is composed of a pre-selection on documents, 2 eliminatory rounds and a finale. The total number of candidates is limited to 35. All the rounds will be open to public.
- The first candidate will be defined by drawing lots and the order of appearance of the following ones will be by on alphabetical order.
- The program attached to registration has the be confirmed by October 1st, 2014 at latest.
- A pianist will be at the candidates’ disposal for accompaniment. Only one rehearsal will be organized before the semi-finale. The candidate may prefer a pianist on their own choice but it will then be at their charge.
- The final round will be preceded by a rehearsal with the Orchestre Symphonique et Lyrique de Nancy on Saturday, November 15 in Nancy. The travel costs will be at the organizers’ charge.
- Performances have to be executed from memory except for the sonatas and the contemporary piece. Each piece can be played only during one round.
- The competition may be partly or entirely recorded, broadcasted on radio or TV channels, live or pre-recorded. In this case, it cannot be subject of any sort of payment.
- The decisions of the jury are final and cannot be overturned. The jury is not obliged to award all the prizes. The jury is free to give special prizes to candidates having participated to the semi-finale and not admitted to the finale. The jury allows itself to stop the performance of any candidate.
- Travel and accommodation are at the candidate’s charge. Nevertheless, on demand when registering and upon availability, free accommodation can be provided in guest families.
- A 100 euro fee has to be paid at registration (excluding bank fees and non refundable. The bank transfer has to be identified with the name of the candidate. The account details for the transfer are the following:
Beneficiary: Les Jeunesses Musicales
Domiciliation: Banque KOLB - Mirecourt
IBAN: FR76 1325 9021 1220 7960 0020 001
ROUTING BIC/SWIFT : NORDFRPP
- The candidates must register on line on the following website : rencontresmusicalesmirecourt.e-monsite.com and sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org and before 1st October 2014, the below documents:
- The registration form duly completed
- A curriculum vitae
- A recent photo
- A copy of ID card or passport
- A proof of payment of the registration fees
Information and rules of the competition to download : 2014 information to candidates civm update nov 2014 (1.75 Mo)