4th Mirecourt International Violin Competition
GREAT FINALE Sunday November 20 at the Rotonde from Thaon-les-Vosges :
- 1st Prize : Yoo Na HA
- 2nd Prize : Carla Inès MARRERO MARTINEZ
- 3rd Prize : Eimi WAKUI
- 4th Prize : Hana WAKAMATSU
- Special Prize for the best personality : Yoo Na HA
- Prize of the orchestra : Carla Inès MARRERO MARTINEZ
- Prize of the audience : Hana WAKAMATSU
- Special Prizel Durand-Salabert-Eschig for the best french sonata during the semi finale : Yoo Na HA
- Special Prize Durand-Salabert-Eschig for the best contemporary piece during the first round : Emmanuel BACH
- Prize of the students from the National Violin Making School of Mirecourt : Carla Inès MARRERO MARTINEZ
The semi finale
First round - Tuesday November 15 and Wednesday November 16, 2016 - Rio, Mirecourt
An about 25 minutes program for violin solo, including:
- JS BACH: 1st and 2nd movements of one of the sonatas for violin solo BWV 1001 - 1003 – 1005 or Chaconne from partita BWV 1004
- PAGANINI: One of the Capricci
- A French contemporary piece for violin solo from the list below (sheet music available on www.musicshopeurope.com):
- Georges APERGHIS: I.X. (2006)
- Pierre BOULEZ: Anthème (1991)
- Pascal DUSAPIN: In vivo (2015)
- Bechara EL-KHOURY: Trois pièces (2013): Arminia, Beyrouth-Jérusalem, Perpétuel
- Philippe HERSANT: Tarab (2010), Chants du Sud (1996)
- Bruno MANTOVANI: Happy hours (2007)
- Marc MONNET: Fantasia dolorosa (1982)
- Eric TANGUY: Élégie (1995), Sonata brève (1999)
- Giacinto SCELSI: Divertimento n°2 (1951), Divertimento n°3 (1955), Divertimento n°4 (1955), Xnoybis (1964)
Semi-Finale – Friday November 18, 2016 - Rio, Mirecourt
A 60 minutes maximum recital including:
- A piece for violin and piano from BEETHOVEN or SCHUBERT
- A French sonata for violin and piano from the list below:
- Pierre de BREVILLE : Sonate n°1 en ut dièse mineur
- Claude DEBUSSY: Sonata
- Gabriel FAURE: Sonata n°1 in A major op.13
- Reynaldo HAHN: Sonata in C major
- Gabriel PIERNE: Sonata in D minor Op.36
- Francis POULENC: Sonata
- Maurice RAVEL: Sonata
- A virtuoso piece for violin solo or with piano accompaniment
Finale - Sunday November 20, 2016 - La Rotonde, Thaon-les-Vosges
With the « Orchestre Symphonique et Lyrique de Nancy » under the conducting of Rani Calderon
Proposed in the season of the « Concerts Classiques d’Epinal »
A concerto among the proposed ones below:
- BEETHOVEN: Concerto in D major Op.61
- BRAHMS: Concerto in D major Op.77
- LALO: Symphonie Espagnole Op. 21
- MENDELSSOHN: Concerto in E minor Op. 64
- SAINT-SAENS: 3rd Concerto in B minor Op. 61
- SIBELIUS: Concerto in D minor Op. 47
- TCHAIKOVSKI: Concerto in D major Op.35
Rewards and recognitions
- 1st prize: 5 000 euros
- 2nd prize: 3 000 euros
- 3rd prize: 1 000 euros
- 4th prize: 500 euros – granted by the Lions Club Mirecourt
- Special Prize for the most impressive personality: a modern bow from Joséphine Thomachot, value 3 000 euros.
In 2013, after geology studies, Josephine Thomachot decided finally to become a bow maker. For two years, she descovered the art of bow making in her father's, Stephane Thomachot's workshop. He teached her the method of french bow making as he learned it himself with his Professor Bernard Ouchard, in Mirecourt.
From 2015, Josephine improved her sikill in the workshop of Noel Burke in Ireland. She spent also a few months with Emmanuel Cartier in Paris where she built her first bow with ivory. Also interested by the baroque bow making, she took the opportunity to discover the skills of David Hawthorne in Boston (US) as well as Arthur Dubroca and Alexandre Aumont in Paris. Joséphine works and lives now in Paris where she is making modern bows.
- Special Prize Durand-Salabert-Eschig for the best interpretation of the contemporary piece: a voucher to purchase sheet music, value 250 euros.
- Special Prize Durand-Salabert-Eschig for the best interpretation of the French sonata: a voucher to purchase sheet music, value 250 euros.
Public Master Classes provided by Ilya Grubert, Friedemann Eichhorn, Dong-Suk Kang, Marianne Piketty and Jan Repko will be proposed to the candidates on Thursday November 17 and Saturday November 19.
- The Mirecourt International Violin Competition organized by the JMF Mirecourt will take place from Monday November 14th to Sunday November 20th, 2016 in Mirecourt (France). The candidates need to be present at the introduction ceremony on Monday November 14th at 5:30pm.
- The competition is open to violinists from all nationalities, born after the 14th November 1990.
- The competition is composed of a pre-selection on documents, 2 eliminatory rounds and a finale. All the rounds will be open to public.
- The first candidate will be defined by drawing lots and the order of appearance of the following ones will be by alphabetical order.
- The program attached to registration has to be confirmed by September 15, 2016 at latest.
- A pianist will be at the candidates’ disposal for accompaniment. Only one rehearsal will be organized before the semi-finale. If the candidate prefers a pianist on his own choice, it will be at his charge.
- The final round will be preceded by a rehearsal with the Orchestre Symphonique et Lyrique de Nancy on Saturday, November 19 in Nancy. The travel expenses will be at the organizers’ charge.
- Performances have to be run by heart except for the sonatas and the contemporary piece. Each piece can be played only ones.
- The competition may be partly or entirely photographed or recorded and diffused live or offline on any media selected by the organizer (internet, papers, radio, TV, etc) without being subject to any kind of remuneration.
- The decisions of the jury are without recourse and cannot be overturned. The jury is not obliged to award all the prizes. The jury is free to grant special prizes to candidates having participated to the semi-finale and not admitted to the finale. The jury is allowed to stop the performance of any candidate if necessary.
- Travel and accommodation are at the candidate’s charge. Nevertheless, on demand at registration and upon availability, free accommodation can be provided in guest families.
- A 100 euros fee has to be paid at registration (excluding bank fees and non-refundable. The bank transfer has to be identified with the name of the candidate. The account details for the transfer are the following:
Beneficiary: Les Jeunesses Musicales
Domiciliation: Banque KOLB - Mirecourt
IBAN: FR76 1325 9021 1220 7960 0020 001
ROUTING BIC/SWIFT : NORDFRPP
- The candidates must register on line on the following website : rencontresmusicalesmirecourt.e-monsite.com and sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org and before 15th September 2016, the below documents:
- The registration form duly completed
- A curriculum vitae
- A recent photo
- A copy of ID card or passport
- A proof of payment of the registration fees
- The registration request will be examined by the competition’s artistic committee. Incomplete files will not be taken into account. Registration will be valid only upon confirmation from the competition organization.
- The candidate accepts all the rules and conditions by signing the registration form.
November 14, 2016 - Opening Concert